Friday, August 28, 2009

A Day At The Races

As much as I'd like to indulge in dreams of Autumn, I am quickly brought back to earth by this heat wave we're having.  It's currently 89 degrees, and when you don't have air conditioning you feel it.  Really, I can't complain when I think of how much warmer the temps are just a few miles inland.  I guess we were overdue, since it was a pretty mild Summer thus far with temps mostly in the low 70s.

Yesterday I joined my husband, Jess, on his work's away day at the Del Mar Racetrack.  Even though I don't have much interest in horse racing, and even less in gambling, I figured it would still be interesting to see what it's all about it.  Besides, who turns down a free lunch?  Well, it turned out to be a mildly interesting affair, but the heat, along with the beaming rays from the sun, was draining.  It wasn't long before I was ready to hightail it out of there.

Still, I couldn't help but feel the rush when a race would begin and you'd hear everyone cheering for their favorite horse to cross the finish line.  Even I picked my own favorites, despite not having put any money down.  Good thing I didn't too, as none of my horses won!  The whole day did serve as a good reminder though...better get some Summer activities in while there is still time.  If you're always looking ahead you'll never enjoy the moment.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

OK, it works! The races look a little interesting. Not something for me either. In fact, there is a car race-track about 3 or so miles from here and I can hear them revving in the distance -- NASCAR-type stuff is big in Redneck Country! LOL

Jakki said...

I think what makes horse racing particularly dull is that there is a half hour between races and they're over so fast! Also, the pavilion we were in didn't have the greatest view and I couldn't even hear the announcer! I enjoyed it a little more when we went up into the stands.