Friday, January 22, 2010

Walking in a Winter Wonderland

I'm happy to have finally gotten a chance to get out and take some pictures of our beautiful snow here in NH. We've been buried since December, but I haven't had a chance to really catch it when it's fresh on the trees -- you know, before the wind knocks it all down. There is something just lovely when it is fresh and still sticking to the branches.

I also got out early to avoid the harsh sun (even overcast skies can be harsh for photography) and I'm pretty happy with the results. It's a challenge to balance all that white sky, ground, and snow. As you can see, some of the pictures are converted to black-and-white; just another fun and interesting way to appreciate this kind of scenery (especially since the scenery has very little color anyway.)

The beauty of snow is the thing I love most about winter. It's so special to me that I cannot think of ever giving it up -- not even for warmer climates. Many people do not understand that because they cannot stand the cold. It can be very hard to take, but up here, it's just part of life and we make the most fun out of it as we can (skating, sledding, skiing . . .)

There is also nothing like snuggling up in a warm blanket by a blazing fire, knowing that the cold is being kept out and we are all safe and comfortable, confined and snug together.























These last two were a challenge -- I couldn't decide if I liked the color or B&W best! What do you think?





I hope you can get out and enjoy this special season. It is an extra-long one here in NH, but it still seems to go by in a flash!

0 comments: