Friday, February 12, 2010

The Winter Olympics 2010


Don't forget -- the opening ceremony is tonight!

Our family looks forward to this biennial event every time -- it's one of our favorite winter diversions. I am not otherwise much of a sports fan, but I cannot resist the allure of the Olympics -- winter or summer. I love 'em both. From the exciting and elaborate opening ceremony to the celebratory and wistful closing one.

Check out all the fun on NBC and read more about the athletes and schedule at the official website.

Gotta run -- I can hear that opening trumpet now!

Sat., Feb. 13:

OK, I'm back. WOW -- what a great Opening Ceremony! What I loved the most about it . . .

Having the parade of athletes at the beginning of the event instead of the end! SHEESH, what took the Committee so long to think of THAT?! Those poor athletes are usually sitting in some back room or out in a parking lot while the rest of us enjoy the amazing culture shows. Canada, you got it right -- the show is for THEM as much as for any of us!

Flashlights. And candle lights. Too fun to see the audience participate.

The amazing lasers. Wow. There are no words for how awe-struck I was watching that on TV. I can't imagine what it was like in the stadium. My favorite bit -- the WHALES! Complete with water spouts.

Canadian geography. From the maritimes, across the prairies, to the Rockies, and finally the west coast and urban Vancouver. Man, I never wanted to take a trip across our neighbor to the north so badly before (I'm even willing to head up to the Arctic Circle!)

Things falling from the sky. Snow. Leaves. Performers . . . I admit I was jealous of "Peter Pan." Did you see him running across the prairie?! I almost jumped out of my seat. Yee-haw!

Tap dancers. And fiddlers. OK, it was a little "Irish" for Canada, but they ROCKED.

K.D. Lang. I'm not a fan of hers -- in fact, I probably only know one of her songs. I don't like it when a woman looks like a man, but if she can sing like that, MOVE OVER! She is the only one who ever made that song, "Hallelujah" sound downright amazing to me.

Watch K.D. and many of the other highlights at the NBC Olympics video website.

0 comments: