Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Holiday Inn on the Fourth of July!


One of my favorite musicals of all-time is Irving Berlin's Holiday Inn! It was released in 1942 and is still a joy to watch Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire compete for the adorable Marjorie Reynolds. One of my favorite aspects of the film is that although it is shown most during the Christmas season, it contains special scenes from so many Holidays that it is worth viewing at almost anytime of the year. Especially with songs like 'Let's Start The New Year Right', 'Be Careful, It's My Heart', 'Easter Parade' and 'I've Got Plenty To Be Thankful For'. There are even two songs for Independence Day! They are so full of fun and energy, I just had to share these scenes with you the day before the Fourth of July!

Bing croons out 'Song of Freedom' in his classic baritone.



Fred masterfully taps his way through 'Say It With Firecrackers'.


If you've never had the chance to see Holiday Inn, be sure to pick up a copy! Below are links to purchase it as a single disc or 3 disc special edition. I definitely recommend the 3 disc set if you don't mind splurging a little for a new copy, but they are about the same price used. Either way, you won't go wrong - the movie is a pure delight and one I have watched many times over the years!


Check out more patriotic movies on our Pinterest board!

2 comments:

Net - "It's a Wonderful Movie" said...

I was just thinking of this movie, "Holiday Inn" and wishing someone would have played it for the 4th. Guess I'll have to get out my DVD.

I love all the Holiday songs and very well remember the 2 patriotic ones you mentioned. It's a perfect movie for July 4th and every Holiday!

You can't beat Bing Crosby singing and Fred Astaire's dancing, with the firecrackers, is also 'the best'!

Thank you for sharing wonderful these clips!

"All God's People shall be free..."

Jakki said...

Agree on all accounts...it's a wonderful movie for any time of year!