Thursday, September 17, 2009

New Trailer For Disney's A Christmas Carol


As you may know by now, Disney is releasing yet another version of Dickens' beloved classic, "A Christmas Carol". This time the movie is shot in digital 3D and stars Jim Carrey as the leading role of Scrooge, as well as the 3 spirits, along with Gary Oldman and Colin Firth. Aside from a standard theatrical release, it will also be shown in IMAX 3D, which could be very entertaining if done well.


As much as I love this story, and strangely it never seems to get old, I always question the necessity of making yet another film version. What new and exciting elements will it bring to the table to make it fresh again? Only time will tell if Disney's latest venture will be a worthy addition to the already vast amount of translations of "A Christmas Carol". One thing is for sure, I will most likely be there on opening day to find out. Here is the new trailer. Your thoughts?

7 comments:

Rightthinker said...

I am a sucker for 'A Christmas Carol', as well! I am looking forward to this version. I wonder if anyone else is like me...where I have my favorite version, and then no other compares? I'm always mad when another version comes on TV, so I finally located and purchased the DVD of the one I love so we can watch it exclusively, LOL!

The only version that is worthy is the George C. Scott version! I can remember watching this when I was very young. :) We'll see how this one does..unique take! Might be fun!

Erin said...

I like a lot of versions of A Christmas Carol. But my all time favorite is the 1938 version with Reginald Owen & Gene Lockhart. A Very Young June Lockhart played one of the Cratchit children. I couldn't wait to see this come on during the holidays & it usually played only once on Sundays "Family Classics". Curious how this new one will do.

Kristin said...

DH and I love the Alistair Sims version the best. (1949 I believe.) We have to watch it every Christmas. We always die laughing when he chases his maid down the stairs. The acting is just TOP NOTCH all around.

Kristin said...

OK, looking at that trailor, I have reservations. It seems way too "Disney-fied to me." Meaning too much kiddie humor and slapstick. I also worry about a British-less Scrooge. Like with "The Grinch", will we ever forget for a moment it's Jim Carrey?

Also, I'm not crazy about this animation (ala "The Polar Express.")

Maybe I'll be surprised, but I'm doubtful.

Jakki said...

I wish I could say I have an all time favorite version of "A Christmas Carol", but I just can't decide. I love all the b&w versions for their moodiness, Seymour Hicks, Reginald Owen and Alistair Sim. George C. Scott was excellent as well, and I even love some of the less true translations like Scrooged, Muppets and Mickey. I guess I like to mix it up, depending on my mood. The one I really need to see is the musical version from the 70s, starring Albert Finney.

Kristin said...

I was going to say that the musical one was my second favorite, but I forgot and clicked off. I can't BELIEVE you haven't seen that, yet, Jakki. ::faint::

Every season, I serande the kids with, "Father Christmas! Father Christmaaaassss!"

Sally said...

I cannot believe how many times this movie has been made - I am looking forward to it! I have to say I love Scrooged too.