Thursday, September 17, 2009

Supernatural: Monster Movie

My husband and I have been watching Supernatural since the first episode aired in 2005. It quickly became one of our favorite shows, especially where my husband is concerned. We often joke that the show was tailored specifically to his taste, as he always enjoys good, scary stories and this show has them in droves. The great thing about Supernatural is how each episode feels like a mini movie of sorts, yet ties into a bigger picture. I am consistently impressed by the quality of the special effects and writing.


With the recent release of Supernatural Season 4 on DVD and Blu-Ray, I thought I would highlight one of the best episodes from that season, "Monster Movie". It's shot completely in black and white and is a smashing tribute to the classic Universal monsters, which makes for a perfect Halloween treat! The humor has a tongue and cheek quality to it and brings to mind movies like Young Frankenstein and Ed Wood. As soon as you see the grainy WB opening logo, and flash of lightning typical of all old monster movies, you know you're in for a treat!

Perhaps I should give a bit of a disclaimer though; this show is not for children or the faint of heart! It is actually quite gory for a television show and touches on some very scary subject matter, namely the supernatural. Christians will quickly recognize the lack of doctrinal accuracy when dealing with issues like demons and angels. It's pure camp, in a Buffy meets X-Files sort of way, and is not to be taken seriously. Without giving too much away, here are a few screen shots from the episode to entice you further, if this is your kind of thing. Personally, I eat it up!













You can catch Season 5 of Supernatural, Thursdays on the CW, which began airing September 10th.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

I've never heard of that show -- but that looks like Bela Lugosi!

Geoff said...

I didn't know Robin Williams was on that show (see the third picture).