Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Fall Decorating On A Dime

Well, it's that time to pull out all the Fall and Halloween decor. Truth be known, I don't have much. When I moved to San Diego from Michigan I sold or gave away most of my belongings, and only kept items that were especially dear to me. So, starting from scratch I have picked up a little here and there. Never one to overdo it, my favorite way to decorate is hunting for bargains or doing the best with what I have. I haven't had a chance to do much shopping, but I was quite impressed with the merchandise found at the Dollar Tree this year! Here are a few of my little finds that helped bring the season to our cozy apartment.


Here is a Nightmare Before Christmas figurine set I picked up at the Disney Store! It looks absolutely adorable on my shelf. The trees I got separate at a thrift store a couple years ago for practically nothing. You can find something similar just about anywhere, perhaps even a dollar store. Total spent: $13.00


I fell in love when I stumbled across these at the Dollar Tree! For years my husband and I have used iced tea glasses identical to this, only they are plain with no design. These match so well with my dishes that I went back the next day to pick up a few more (for a total of 8). 5 minutes after I grabbed the ones I wanted the rest were taken by another greedy shopper (jk). It just goes to show, you gotta grab this stuff up while it's available! Total spent: $8


This item is a combination of new and re-purposed items. I got the leaves at the Dollar Tree, but didn't have a great vase to put them in. A few years ago I picked up this adorable tea light oil warmer from a yard sale, but found it didn't get used much, aside from looking cute as a decoration. I took the oil plate off and decided to use it as a vase for the leaves. As you can see, the colors go excellent together! Total spent: $4


Here is yet another re-purposed combo. I got the sterling silver candle holders from my Mom and simply bought the Federal style candles from Wal-Mart and the web with spiders at the Dollar Tree. Total spent: $3


This was one of my favorite finds at the Dollar Tree this year! I purchased 3 packs of these very realistic, large dried leaves made from paper. They have wire stems and come in red, brown and orange. The possibilities are endless! You can attach them to just about anything, or mix and match as I did here. In this instance I used them to decorate the corners of my windows. Total spent: $3


Yet another item from the Dollar Tree! I wanted something to hang on my door, but didn't want to spend much. This was a pretty cute option, considering it's fairly large at 2 ft. tall. It's made a little cheaply, but all scarecrows are. He provides a nice little greeting when we come home. Total spent: $1

Well, that's about it for now. We'd love to hear about your great decorating bargains as well! Also, be sure to LIKE us on FACEBOOK, as we post more pics and updates there!

3 comments:

Christmas-etc... said...

I love the glasses! And the scarecrow! What great finds!
Ann

Kristin said...

Those are great -- I saw those glasses and I did get the same leaves you put in the vase! Our house looks quite festive right now.

Jakki said...

Thanks for the comments! It's amazing what you can find without breaking the bank. Kristin, I think a post of your decor is in order!