Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Valentine's Day Sugar Cookies



For Valentine's Day I decided to make my honey a batch of Valentine sugar cookies. I decided I would really like to make them with cherry frosting, because when we were dating in high school (many years ago) I made him a delicious batch of cookies with cherry frosting that I was never able to make again. For some reason, I was never able to find cherry frosting again, even though Betty Crocker still makes it, according to their website. I thought about making it myself, but all the recipes online had complaints about the frosting tasting like cough medicine. Not the tart taste I was going for!

I had decided I might have to settle on something else, so I picked up a can of Pink Lemonade to give it a whirl. When I opened the can to take a taste, the first thought was how much it tasted like real pink lemonade, almost as if they had just used a packet of pink lemonade Kool-Aid to make it. Lightning suddenly struck my brain and I suddenly had an idea! Why not buy a packet of cherry Kool-Aid and mix it into some vanilla frosting?! But would it work?? YES, it absolutely did! It was the perfect solution, so I was able to make my cherry frosted cookies after all. Here is the final result...



By the way, as it turns out, any flavor of Kool-Aid will work with frosting. I suggest using only half a packet for every 16 oz of frosting. Also keep in mind that it will tint your frosting the color of the flavor, so account for that when using this method. Experiment with adding it to white cake mixes as well!

0 comments: